Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dear Baba Yaga,

Somehow these tales that are unfamiliar to me just don't prompt much insight or even interest w/in me.  It makes me wonder if anyone has ever done a study to examine how much our perceived meaning(s) of the myths is influenced by our experience of and relationship to those who first told us the myth, and the micro-culture in which the myth-meaning was lived or refuted.

I know for myself that my memories of fairy tales is always linked to Mom reading them to me at bedtime.  And I know a few American folk-tales that I associate w/ my Dad because he told them to us while traveling in the car on family vacations.

I'm not sure how a person would make an objective study of this.  But I think I want to look at tales from this angle for myself.

Contrasted to this is my resonance w/ The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson.  I don't recall ever having heard a story anything like this.  And yet, it reverberates w/in me like an ancient truth.

I've ordered two books w/ fairy-tales and folk-tales that I believe will be more familiar to me.  I'm going to see if I can find threads of meaning that are akin to what Estes talks about in WWRWW.

Love,
Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment