Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Dear Baba,

You asked, in a recent letter, how I would describe our relationship.  I asked you about Bluebeard and I recounted for you about my "orb" and about my waking dream which involved a lion because I'm trying to sort out what is "wild" in me, and if what some call The Wild is the same thing as what others call The Shadow side of the Self.

Right now I think of you, dear Baba, as my very great, (multiple greats) grandmother from an ancient line from an old world.  I am a young bud on your rooted-to-the-ancient tree.  I don't know if you are utterly Wild, or if you are like my Shadow or if you are otherwise.  Partly, I'm writing you these letters because I want to learn from you, and partly because I want to learn about you!

The story of Bluebeard seems to be largely about a predator, or about the lethal dance between the predatory and the naive.  The story seems to show the naive to be reformable, but the predatory must be annihilated.  Whereas when we talk about the Shadow side of the Self, we're not suggesting the characteristics of the Shadow can't be reconciled w/ the acknowledged Self, rather that the whole Self must be integrated through acknowledging all facets of the Self.  Is that part right?

When people refer to "The Wild Woman" I think it's primarily a recognition of the instinctual, and maybe what some might call the "base" or "animal" nature.  If I'm understanding correctly how others use these terms, I am coming to believe that I might view these categorizations of facets of the Self as circles that in my view over-lap.  And I would wonder: how universal or unique are these portraits of the Self and it's facets?

Mostly I want to learn more about my Wild Self and my Shadow Self and how I can become more and more Whole.

Hoping to hear from you soon!
~Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment